Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Why I create Cakes....


Hello,

I found this excerpt from another budding chef's blog.

" ....when i finally closed my eyes and tried, what I wanted came to me with complete clarity. The place that I went, the place that I still go, was the warm, hollowed-out center of a Bundt cake. It is usually gingerbread, though sometimes that changes. Sometimes it's gingerbread crowned in a ring of poached pears. The walls that surround me are high and soft, but as they go up they curve back, open up to the light, so I feel protected by the cake but never trapped by it. There are a few loose crumbs around my feet, clnging to my hair, and the smell! The ginger and butter the lingering subtlety of vanilla... I press my cheek against the cake, which is soft as eiderdown and still warm.
.......Cakes have gotten a bad rap. People equate virtue with turning down dessert.
There is always one person at the table who holds up her hand when i serve cake.
No, really, I couldnt, she says and then gives her flat stomach a conspiratorial little pat. Everyone who is pressing a fork into that first tender layer looks at the person who declined the plate, and they all think, That person is better than I am. That person is discipline. but that isn't a person with discipline, that is a person who has completely lost touch with joy. A slice of cake never made anybody fat. You dont eat the whole cake. You dont eat a cake everyday of your life. You take the cake when it is offered because the cake is delicious. You have a slice of cake and what it reminds you of is someplace thats safe,uncomplicated, without stress. A cake is a party, a birthday, a wedding. A cake is what's served on the happiest days of your life. "... Jeanne Ray

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, this is beautiful and so true.